Exterior Insulation and Finishing System (EIFS) is a rock on cladding system that provides exterior walls with an insulated finished surface and waterproofing in an integrated composite material system.
There are five main components:
- Insulation board, made of polystyrene or polyunsaturate foam.
- A specially formulated adhesive and/or mechanical attachment of the insulation to a substrate.
- Glass fiber reinforcing mesh.
- A durable, water-resistant base coat, which is applied on top of the insulation that functions as the weather barrier.
- An attractive and durable finish coat — typically using acrylic co-polymer technology — which is both colorfast and crack-resistant.